"Librarians are hiding something."..Stephen Colbert

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Week 4, Thing #8, RSS

Okay, here is a perfect example of why I don't love blogs: I'm looking at the discovery activities for RSS feeds; click on the "differences" among bloglines, RSS feeds and Google Reader; get to some guy's blog which discusses iPhone for an entire page. So I search for Google Reader, then bloglines and Google Reader, then Bloglines Google Reader rss feeds...I get some clues, but no "discussion of the differences..." half hour gone, and I am none the wiser. I assume that in order for a blog to be efficiently searched, the blogger must attach tags that are intuitive to most readers... perhaps we need Sears for bloggers?

Be that as it may, my new Google Reader will be a great help with the need to know vs the time I have. Linked to the local paper's local news may actually allow me to at least scan the news each day so as not to miss anything going on in town. Ditto the BBC and NYT headlines. Getting daily book reviews will help with collection development, of course. Hope to find an appropriate "for high school" book review source...that delicate cross between adult and YA... Anyone know of one?

No comments: