"Librarians are hiding something."..Stephen Colbert

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Week 5, Thing # 12, Custom Search Engines

Tried the Rollyo search engine "thing". I see definite possibilities, especially in planning with teachers for specific lessons. I have "class resources" on my library web page, with sites to use when teachers bring students for certain units, but they need to be searched individually. I can see using the custom search engine process to allow students to search a carefully selected group of web sites for more efficient sessions in the library computer center.

Also tried Google CSE (Custom Search Engines). I read a blog entry from one of the library feeds which said that you didn't have to list sites URL by URL, that Google would give a bit of code which would search any site already listed on a page...seems like what I was discussing above. But I found the process to be pretty identical to the Rollyo "thing". I must spend more time playing and reading the blog entry again to find out what I missed. It would be much easier to add such a search box to each teacher's resources page than to re-list all the URL's. On the other hand, I found I can just go to my bookmark organizer, highlight and copy all URL's in the (in this case) html folder, and then paste to Google's CSE. Not really too hard.

I read something recently...science fiction, a joke, whatever...which mentioned Google taking over the world. I get it.

No comments: